Winter Hill receiver project
The WinterHill receiver project by Brian G4EWJ with hindrance and occasional help from Mike G0MJW. It uses the BATC Advanced receiver hardware.
• WinterHill is a 4 channel DVB-S/S2 receiver based on the BATC Advanced Receiver PCB
• The main components are a Raspberry Pi 4 (RPi4), 2 x FTS433x NIMs, 2 x PICs and 2 optional LNB PSU boards
• The PICs are programmed in-circuit automatically during software installation
• The RPi4 software is based on LongMynd by M0HMO
• The RPi4 interfaces to each NIM using a PIC, rather than an FT2232H USB module
• The 4 received transport streams (TS) can be sent to any location using UDP protocol
• Transport streams are displayed either locally or remotely using VLC
• Receive commands can come from various sources, including QO-100 QuickTune designed by M0DTS
• The highest symbol rate is limited by the speed of the serial connections between devices and is about 10M bit/s per NIM. E.g. the QO-100 beacon at SR1500 FEC4/5 (2.4Mbps) and a terrestrial repeater at SR4000 FEC7/8 (7Mbps) should be OK.
• Currently, the lowest symbol rate that can be received is 66kS
• WinterHill is named in memory of Brian G3SMU, who was a huge presence on ATV and microwaves from his Winter Hill QTH in Lancashire, North-West England
December 2020 - Currently the project is at the design phase with a proof of concept receiver working on breadboard hardware.
February 2021 - beta testing in progress
March 2021 - First production PCBs expected
The PCB design by Mike G0MJW is based on a completely new concept, BATC Advanced DATV Receiver, supporting two SERIT tuners with an integrated Raspberry PI4 and PICs. No USB module is required. This supports 4 simultaneous receivers in either a set top box mode, with the PI desktop, or headless, or a combination of these.
Feasibility design which worked fine
A prototype that was also built by several beta testers. Two pin programming jumper instead of 3 pin and didn't fit in the box.
First general release PCB - Likely release March 2021
Raspberry Pi4 SD Card Building and Software Installation Manual (contains RPi software download details)
PC Control and Viewing Utilities Manual
PC Control and Viewing Software